Azikiwe-Nkrumah Hall

29-nkrumah.jpg

Azikiwe-Nkrumah Hall, built in 1865, is the oldest building on campus. It was built during the Civil War when the university was originally known as Ashmun Institute. Initially a residence for professors, the building later became the African Center and is currently used as campus security offices. It is named for two distinguished alumni, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe '30, the first president of Nigeria and Dr. Kwame Nkrumah '39, the first president of Ghana.