Biology (BS, BA, minor)
Biology Major Program Goals
- To prepare students to conduct and communicate original scientific investigations.
- To provide a curriculum that cultivates the students’ knowledge base of the foundational areas of biology at the molecular, cellular, organismal and ecosystem levels of organization.
- To prepare and graduate students who enter graduate school or professional school or who obtain employment in biology-related fields.
- Apply the scientific method and complete an independent research project.
- Communicate effectively biological concepts through written, spoken and visual means.
- Interpret numerical displays of data and apply quantitative skills and reasoning to biological problems.
- Show proficiency in the following content learning objectives:
- Explain the processes that lead to evolutionary change and recognize biological structures and functions as products of evolutionary change.
- Relate energy flow to nutrient cycling at multiple levels of biological organization.
- Correlate structure and function at multiple levels of biological organization.
- Describe how genetic information is stored, expressed and transmitted from one generation to the next
Please see the University Catalog for more information and program requirements.
For more information contact the Biology Department.