Counseling Services Offered

Confidentiality Statement

In 1996 the United States Congress passed a law called The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or HIPPA. This law protects how your health information is accessed and disclosed. This means that information shared in counseling sessions cannot be released to professors, other university offices, family members, friends, or anyone without your written permission.

There are some exceptions to confidentiality involving imminent risk of self-harm or abuse of others.

Counseling Services are free for students currently enrolled in a degree-granting program. Faculty and staff can access counseling services through our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) at 1 800-343-2186.

Counselors are professionals uniquely trained to provide the following services:

  • Counseling for such matters as: anxiety, stress, depression, self-esteem, relationship concerns, sexual assault, grief and loss, family stress, gender identity, college-related transition and other developmental issues. Learn about scheduling an appointment.
  • Group Counseling is offered to provide students with support and encouragement through a shared group experience. Groups allow students to learn new ways of relating to people or issues and to gain self-awareness and self-confidence.
  • Assessment and referral to other campus resources, such as Health Services, Student Services, Office of The Chaplain, and referrals to community resources when the presenting concerns are beyond Counseling Services’ scope of practice.
  • Mental health consultation, education, and outreach programs are available to students. Counseling Services presents workshops and training sessions to meet the needs of the university community.
  • Crisis intervention: Same-day crisis appointments are available during business hours from 9 to 5:p.m. After business hours and on weekends, students can contact Chester County Crisis Intervention at 1-877-918-2100 or 610)-280-3270.
  • Drug and alcohol: Substance abuse assessment and referrals are provided. Counseling Services partners with a local outpatient drug and alcohol agency where students can access drug and alcohol treatment.

Counseling Services does not prescribe or monitor psychotropic or any other medications. At a student’s request, counselors will make a referral to Health Services or a community physician for a medication evaluation.