WPP Mission and Goals
Entering Writing Proficiency Completion in Colleague
Department of Languages and Literature
Department Contacts for WPP
Portfolio Requirements Per Department
Writing-Intensive (WI) Courses
WI Course Guidelines, Recommendations and WI Certification Form
WI Course Assessment Rubric
Writing Portfolio Rubrics for Departments
WPP Assessment Update and Plan 2015 - 2016
WPP Workshops for Faculty
Welcome to The Writing Proficiency Program
Administered by the Department of English
and the Faculty and Staff of Lincoln University
|Dr. Samaa Gamie facilitates the following key areas of support for The Writing Proficiency Program (WPP):
Program Mission Statement
The WPP is a university-wide program designed to ensure that students can write proficiently before they graduate and enter graduate school, a professional setting, or the workforce. All Lincoln University students must complete all components of the WPP before they can graduate from Lincoln University. This degree requirement must be fulfilled before students are awarded their diploma.
WPP Graduation Requirement
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCMENT: Per the prerogative of Academic Affairs in spring 2013, students who joined Lincoln University before the fall of 2009 are exempted from the WPP requirement.
For all other LU students, the successful completion of the Writing Proficiency Program will become a graduation requirement for them starting with the graduating class of 2013. The WPP requirement for graduation consists of three steps:
- Passing the blue book requirement in ENG 101, which is the Writing Proficiency Exam
- Taking four writing intensive courses approved by the major department
- Submitting a successful portfolio (consisting of four documents) that is approved and certified by the major department and the Chair. Students who fail the portfolio requirement will be required to attend a prescribed number of writing workshop and submit a revised portfolio.
Once the students successfully complete the WPP, they will be certified for graduation by the Registrar’s Office.
Writing Proficiency Program Goals
The Writing Proficiency Program has three (3) goals:
- To create an environment at Lincoln University in which writing skills and writing instruction are given high priority.
- To ensure that Lincoln students graduate with a high standard of competence, professionalism, and engagement while writing in English, as reflected in the course work throughout the disciplines.
- To provide Lincoln University students with the writing skills that will ensure the achievement of lifelong personal and professional goals.
Glenn, Cheryl, and Loretta Gray. The Lincoln University Hanbook. (Also called The Writer's Harbrace Handbook, 3rd Ed.) NY: Wadsworth/Thomson, 2006.