Students majoring in the Department are eligible for the departmental honors program if they have attained Junior status, have a cumulative G.P.A. of at least 3.3, and have completed three departmental courses with a grade of B+ or better.
The requirements for graduating with Departmental Honors are:
• Complete an Independent Research/Study project (SOC-495) on an advanced topic in his/her major under the supervision of a departmental faculty member.
• Have an overall cumulative G.P.A. of 3.3 or better
• Have an G.P.A. of 3.3 or better in his/her major
• Earn a Bachelor of Arts degree (Intermediate II (202) of any foreign language)
• Earn a B+ or better in the following courses:
o SOC - 305 Research Methods
o SOC - 306 Social Statistics
o SOC - 410 Senior Seminar
• Earn a B+ or better in the following course:
o Sociology Majors: SOC 318 - Sociological Theory
o Criminal Justice Majors: SOC 315 - Courts and Corrections
Foreign Language Requirements/University Core Curriculum
All Departmental Majors must take 2 consecutive semesters of a foreign language, which will fulfill the language requirement of the University Core Curriculum.