Students majoring in the Department are eligible for the departmental honors program if they have attained Junior status, have a cumulative G.P.A. of at least 3.3, and have completed three departmental courses with a grade of B+ or better.
The requirements for graduating with Departmental Honors are:
• Complete an Independent Research/Study project (SOC-495) on an advanced topic in his/her major under the supervision of a departmental faculty member.
• Have an overall cumulative G.P.A. of 3.3 or better
• Have an G.P.A. of 3.3 or better in his/her major
• Earn a Bachelor of Arts degree (Intermediate II (202) of any foreign language)
• Earn a B+ or better in the following courses:
o SOC - 305 Research Methods
o SOC - 306 Social Statistics
o SOC - 410 Senior Seminar
• Earn a B+ or better in the following course:
o Sociology Majors: SOC 318 - Sociological Theory
o Criminal Justice Majors: SOC 315 - Courts and Corrections
Foreign Language Requirements/University Core Curriculum
All Departmental Majors must take 2 consecutive semesters of a foreign language, which will fulfill the language requirement of the University Core Curriculum.
Alpha Kappa Delta International Sociology Honor Society
Alpha Kappa Delta (AKD) is the
International Sociology Honor Society.
AKD was founded in 1920
at the University of Southern California
by Dr. Emory S. Bogardus
and became affiliated with the
Association of College Honor Societies
(ACHS) in 1967.
AKD is also affiliated with the
American Sociological Society (ASA).
The purpose of Alpha Kappa Delta is to seek to acknowledge and promote excellence in scholarship in the study of sociology, the research of social problems, and such other social and intellectual activities as will lead to improvement in the human condition.
Alpha Kappa Delta is a non-secret, democratic, international society of scholars dedicated to the ideal of
Athropon Katamannthanein Diakonesin or “to investigate humanity for the purpose of service.”
Congratulations to the recent members of AKD!
Spring ’14 Graduates
Fall 2013—Spring 2014
Induction Ceremony, November 2014