Minutes of September 20, 2004 Cabinet meeting were approved.
Mr. Thompson briefed the Cabinet on the status of several projects underway in the physical plant. It was noted that the division is currently operating with only the following professional personnel on staff: 3 electricians, 1 plumber, 1 HVAC person, 1 mechanic, 4 Boiler Plant operators, 2 locksmiths and 2 carpenters. The office is making every effort to respond to requests for repairs while at the same time accomplish the necessary renovations and oversight of capital projects.
Commonwealth Higher Education Assistance Award
Lincoln University has been named the recipient of a $500,000 Commonwealth Higher Education Assistance Award for technology.
2005-06 Commonwealth Capital Budget Request
Lincoln University is requesting funding for the following five priority projects in its 2005-2006 Capital Budget Request to the Commonwealth:
Project Title Amount
1. Provide Landscaping, Parking, Sidewalks, Entrances, $13,000,000
Streets & Curbing for Entire Campus
2. Renovation of and Addition to Manuel Rivero Hall $22,000,000
3. Construction of Living Learning Center $20,000,000
4. Construction of Athletic Facilities $12,000,000
5. Renovation/Upgrade Center for Graduate and $12,000,000
Continuing Education Center (Urban Center)
These projects have been submitted for funding along with previously requested projects not yet funded.
Lincoln University will revisit the issue of installing some sort of traffic sign/signal on Baltimore Pike in front of the campus for the safety of our students. Previous efforts to have a traffic signal installed were unsuccessful.
Centralization and Coordination Requirements
President Nelson has established the following as specific areas where centralization and coordination must occur:
· Purchase of computers, printers, copiers, telephones and technology equipment (Office of Information Technology)
· Purchase of office furniture, dormitory furniture, classroom furniture and any items related to buildings (Office of Physical Plant)
· Renovation of offices, buildings, classroom spaces and movement of furnishings (Office of Physical Plant)
· Movement of personnel to different office spaces (Space Planning Committee, chaired by Vice President Bynum)
· Management of University vehicles (Office of Physical Plant)
(Offices designated in parenthesis are required to participate in the identification and selection process to assure that the established University standards are met and adhered to.)
Student Affairs and Enrollment Management
The deadline for "Financial Clearance" has been extended until the end of business, Friday, October 1, 2004. After that time, the Cabinet will make a determination as to what amount of outstanding balance they will be permitted to pay off during the semester by making payments directly to Lincoln. Students falling above the established limit will receive a letter advising them that they have been administratively withdrawn and will be given until October 10th to remove their belongings from the residence halls completely.
Lincoln University Recognized by American Red Cross
Lincoln University has again received the honor of Organization of the Year from the American Red Cross. This honor is in recognition of the University's efforts to promote bone marrow and sickle cell drives.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 12:15 p.m.
Diane M. Brown
Assistant to the President