Mission and Goals of the Department of Mass Communications
The mission of the Department of Mass Communications is to produce graduates who are able to excel in the practice areas encompassed in mass communications, journalism, public relations and strategic communication, by equipping them with a skill set that includes media literacy, multi-media software and platform application, media production, digital media convergence, as well as a strong theoretical and research foundation. Students demonstrated knowledge of mass media theories and professional practices can successfully transition graduates to perform in globalized mass media industries and/ or graduate studies.
1. Demonstrated excellence in mass media writing styles that conform to highest standards in print and broadcast newsrooms, multimedia platforms, and graduate course work.
2. Interpretation and application of mass media theories and appreciation of how mass media impacts current events and cultural production.
3. Application of mass media ethics, particularly codes of professional integrity and competencies established by the Society of Professional Journalists, Online News Association, National Association of Broadcasters, The Accrediting Body on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications, and The Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication.
4. Applied knowledge of mass media technologies consistent with the changes in mass media industries, including multimedia convergence.
5. Application of research methods and approaches required for graduate study in mass communication.