Langston Hughes Memorial Library
GARNET LITERARY ASSOCIATION DOCUMENTS
Named after the famous African American abolitionist and orator Henry Highland Garnet, The Garnet Literary Association (also occasionally spelled “Garnett” and sometimes referred to as a “lyceum” or a “literary society”) was one of two such societies formed shortly after Lincoln University’s founding, in association with the Collegiate Department. As documented in the college catalogues, students joined one of the two societies and through them had extensive practice in debate and oratory. These literary societies remained vitally important through the nineteenth and even into the twentieth century, at least until the arrival of intercollegiate football and Greek fraternities on campus.
Click here to access that collection, which is organized chronologically, oldest to newest.
Links to online Garnet Society documents:
1867 Constitution and Bylaws
1870 Letter to Editor (New Era) re anniversary of Garnet Literary Association
1894 28th anniversary printed program
1896 30th anniversary printed program
1899-1917 Minutes , handwritten in ledger book
1907 41st anniversary invitation booklet and program
For more information, contact Tracey Hunter Hayes
Return to Historical Collections
University of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
1570 Baltimore Pike, P.O. Box
179, Lincoln University, PA 19352 \ (484) 365-8000