English & Mass Communications Department
Department of English and Mass Communications
9 January 2007 Department Meeting Minutes
Present: Drs. Button, Hoogeveen, Bhuiyan, Nigro, Prigg, Siddque,
Sheard and Profs. Amadio, Donohue, Esters, and Whitesel.
- Dr. Nigro was happy to report that she received
much rest over break. Everyone was in agreement.
- A motion by Dr. Prigg was seconded by Dr. Hoogeveen
to approve the minutes from the November meeting with spelling corrections
and a motion to post the minutes to the Internet.
- Review of Schedules and Forms
- Discrepancies between the schedule and registrar
forms were noted and should be brought to the attention of Diane Smith
ad the registrar.
- Prof. William Adams will not be able to teach this
semester. Although he is recovering from quadruple bi-pass surgery,
the rehabilitation is taking longer than expected.
- The radio will be managed by Dr. Poe, according
to Dr. Bhuiyan. There will be a 2-hour news feed and a talk show. However,
Dr. Bhuiyan indicated there are limited resources.
- The TV station will feature a talk show and some
- Dr. Hoogeveen suggested placing a monitor in the
department. The radio will also be played in certain rooms around campus.
- Mass Communications Position
- Two qualified candidates submitted CVs, however
one withdrew. The positions for a tenure track slot in Print Journalism
and a tenure track slot in Broadcast Journalism remain open.
- Dr. Hoogeveen asked that all professors check
the failure list with their rosters to ensure students are properly
- He also asked that ENG 102 professors from last
semester inform Marilyn Frantz of the number of ENG 102 students who
failed last semester because of the B- blue book requirement.
- Dr. Button indicated that the new computer system
should eliminate mis-registrations.
- ENG 102 is currently a pre-req for PHL. Dr. Button
emphasized how that designation underscores the work done in ENG 102.
Dr. Hoogeveen added that ENG 102 and PHL 101 might become co-reqs,
if PHL 101 changes the writing assignments to reflect ENG 102 work.
- Date for Info Potluck
- A date needs to be set for the English Department
Info Session Potluck.
- Retention Initiative Reminder
- Dr. Button reminded the faculty that Dean Willis
is interested in professors pairing students, utilizing tutoring, and
challenging the strongest students.
- The Need to Know: University data available upon
- Dr. Button has a brown folder on her bookcase
with a plethora of information about Lincoln University that she said
should be a valuable resource when writing a proposal.
- Prof. Amadio, Faculty Director of Simbaa, the
Official Literary Magazine of Lincoln University, passed out a flyer
about the magazine. The deadline for submissions is Feb. 28, and submissions
can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Respectfully submitted by:
William J. Donohue
English and Mass Communications
Lincoln University of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
1570 Baltimore Pike, P.O. Box 179, Lincoln University, PA 19352 \ 484-365-8000