The Male Initiative of Lincoln University’s mission is to increase the academic, professional and social success of Lincoln University males in order to increase retention and graduation rates. The Lincoln University Male Initiative strives to provide resources for students to identify their purpose, create additional avenues for alumni and community members to connect with the university, and provide faculty/staff with new opportunities to contribute to student development.
Lincoln University Man of the Year
The Male Initiative Committee, sponsored by the Division of Student Affairs at Lincoln University, is announcing nominations for the 2018-2019 Man of the Year Award. This special honor will be given to a current sophomore, junior, and senior who has defined what it means to be a Lincoln University man.
Our Definition of a Lincoln Man: A Lincoln Man is one who is respectful, honest, reliable, scholarly, confident, resourceful, professional, service-oriented, self-motivated, can motivate others, and prideful of Lincoln University
Required Qualifications: Candidates who will be considered must be in good academic, financial, and judicial standing with Lincoln University
Preferred Qualifications: Candidates that will stand out to the selection committee will:
- Have participated in community service initiatives
- Have at least a 3.0 average
- Be involved with campus organizations
- Applications must be typed
- Previous Lincoln Man of the Year Award recipients may reapply for the award.
- Self-nominations are accepted.
- Nominators can only be current Lincoln University students, faculty, or staff.
- Letter of recommendations to supplement your application are accepted but not required for consideration. There is no minimum or maximum amount for the number or length of letter of recommendations you may submit.
- Resumes to supplement your application are accepted but not required for consideration.
- Awardees will be recognized during Brother’s Week.
- Should you have any questions, please contact LU Male Initiative Committee chair, Mr. Jonathan Harris by email at JHarris@lincoln.edu.
Submitting your Application:
- Applications and all supporting materials are due Friday March 30th, 2018 by 11:59 p.m.
- Please email completed nominations to LU Male Initiative Committee chair, Mr. Jonathan Harris- JHarris@lincoln.edu
- The subject line for the email should be “Nominee’s First & Last Name Man of the Year Application”. For example “John Doe Man of the Year Application”.
- Regarding letter of recommendations, the recommender can email Mr. Harris directly with the attached letter or the nominee can submit the along with their application.
“The Lincoln University Men’s Council is a group of proactive and committed male students that serve as members of various organizations and departments charged with the mission of identifying ways to promote scholarship, leadership, service, and character. Representation for the men’s council will come from the following:
- Boyz 2 Men Mentoring Program
- Frederick Douglass Hall Council
- Gentlemen Qualities
- Groove Phi Groove Social Fellowship Inc.
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
- Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity Inc.
- Thurgood Marshall Living Learning Center North Hall Council
- McRary Hall Council
- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc.
- People Standing United (PSU)
- Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc.
- Young Kings Movement
- First Year Program Peer Mentors
- Residence Life
- Student Life and Development”
Dress Up Mondays
Every Monday, the men of Lincoln University will dress up in their best professional attire. Each week a winner will be selected. At the end of the semester, all the winners will enter a raffle for the grand prize