Center for Advising and Student Achievement (CASA)
Welcome to CASA, the Center for Advising & Student Achievement. “Nuestra casa es su casa,” translated from Spanish, this phrase means, “our house is your house.” We would like students to think of CASA as a “house of learning” that they can come and receive advising and academic support that will enable them to achieve maximum success in college.
The idea for CASA was conceived out of the need to bring more cohesion and uniformity to enhance and maximize services being provided by the Learning Resource Center, the Freshman Year Program, the Academic Advising Center, ACT 101 Achievement Program, and the Early Monitoring Alert Program (EMAP). In addition to these programs now coming under the CASA, the Math Learning Center (MLC), and the Writing and Reading Center (WRC) will also be housed under CASA and function under the direction of the Math and the Language and Literature departments.
Student Services offered in CASA include:
- Placement Testing
- First Year Program Advising
- Professional & Peer Tutoring
- Peer mentoring
- ACT 101 Academic Achievement Program
- EMAP – Early Monitoring Alert Program to identify and assist students in academic difficulty
- Computer Labs
- Coaching for taking graduate or professional school entry exams
- Student Lingo - Student Success Workshops
- Early Monitoring Alert Program – This program provides academic enrichment and support to students whose cumulative g.p.a. falls below the University required 2.0.
The Writing and Reading Center (WRC), and the Math Learning Center (MLC), are located in CASA, however operate under the auspices of the English (Language and Linguistics) and the Math Departments. These two centers will provide academic assistance to students enrolled in English and math courses as need dictates.
- Wright Hall 210