Lincoln University of Pennsylvania
Faculty Meeting Minutes
Tuesday, April 4, 2006
Dickey Hall Auditorium
Dr. Nelson convened the meeting at 4:10 PM
Report from the President . . . . . . . . Dr. Ivory V. Nelson:
Ms. Linda Susky reported to me that Lincoln University’s self-study was the best self-study she has seen. Her only recommendation was that maybe we could cut down on some of the verbiage in the reports. Dr. Nelson also thanked everyone who is participating in the self-study. Dr. Nelson also noted that the temporary classrooms and office space that would be replacing rooms in University Hall and Ware Hall, which will be undergoing renovation in the fall, would be put in place on Monday, April 10, 2006.
A. Minutes from the March 7, 2006 meeting were approved.
B. A motion was passed to make the fourth Tuesday of every month at 4:00 PM the day and time for Middle States meetings to take place and to keep this time and day free of classes.
C. The body also voted to accept the recommendation of the Joint Committee of Educational Policies and Curriculum that ART 103 Introduction to Media and Color be accepted as a new course.
D. Moreover, the body voted with one abstention to accept the recommendation of the Joint Committee of Educational Policies and Curriculum to approve the following resolutions that address curricular and logistical aspects of FYE 101 course:
(1) identify 30-35 sections of FYE 101 for fall 2006 semester to accommodate 750-875 first year students (entering class)
(2) implement a “soft” cap of 25 students for each section
(3) appoint Dr. Patricia Joseph (Sociology) to coordinate/lead efforts to implement FYE’s introduction into core (serve as Coordinator of FYE); thus, FYE would be “housed” in the Department of Sociology & Anthropology
(4) establish FYE Committee (drawn from pool of FYE instructors; two members each from the three schools); Director of Freshman Advising Center will serve as a resource person to Committee; Committee to be chaired by the Coordinator of FYE
(5) equate FYE 101 with SEM 190 (thereby eliminating need for SEM 190; i.e., returning students will satisfy SEM 190 requirement by completing FYE 101)
(6) provide FYE Committee with a suggested list of student learner outcomes/course objectives
(7) all FYE instructors adopt/require the same text
(8) all FYE instructors administer the same pretest and posttest (for purposes of measuring the impact of FYE)
(9) all FYE instructors attend workshop(s) where common course objectives and consensus syllabus are identified and agreed upon
(10) recommend that a FYE budget account be established to fund:
a) FYE instructors’ stipends for workshop participation
b) FYE Coordinator’s compensation
c) instructional materials, e.g., software, DVDs
- Dr. Safford asked the faculty to think about which committees that faculty members might want to serve on since the faculty will vote on openings at the April 29, 2006 meeting.
- Dr. Nelson announced that Information Technology was in the process of restoring e-mails lost due to technical difficulties.
- Dr. Poe reminded the faculty of the Technology Fair that will be held at next August’s Faculty Conference.
- Dr. Willis announced that "I, Too, Sing America" would be performed Thursday, April 6, 2006 at 7:00 PM in Manuel Rivero Hall.
- Mr. Bryson announced that The Langston Hughes Memorial Library would have a book sale for National Library Week on Thursday, April 6, 2006 and Friday, April 7, 2006.
- Dr. Joanne DeBoy thanked everyone who worked with the Education Department during the Pennsylvania Department of Education review. Dr. Nelson thanked Dr. DeBoy for jumping into a tough job and succeeding.
Dr. Nelson adjourned the meeting at 4:47 PM.
Donald J. Bradt